Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety Yak) - EN
- Parent Category: ROOT
- Category: Ubuntu Items - EN
- Published: Saturday, 22 October 2016 11:32
- Hits: 1458
Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety Yak)
On October 13, 2016, version 16.10 of Ubuntu with codename Yakkety Yak was released by Canonical. This successor to long term support version 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) uses the newer Linux kernel version 4.8, which will allow many applications of an updated version.
- Version number: 16.10
- Releasestatus: Final
- Operatingsystem: Linux
- Website: Canonical
- Download: https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
- To upgrade on a desktop system:
- To upgrade on a server system:
- Externe links
To upgrade an existing version, you can find the instruction on the following link: https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/upgrade
- Ubuntu 16.10 ships with Linux Kernel 4.8
- Nautilus version 3.20
- GNOME 3.20
7. Updated Apps
- LibreOffice 5.2.2
- Mozilla Firefox 49
- Shotwell 0.22
- GNOME Terminal 3.20
- Thunderbird 45
- Ubuntu Software 3.20
- Rhythmbox 3.4.1
To upgrade on a desktop system:
- Open the "Software & Updates" Setting in System Settings.
- Select the 3rd Tab called "Updates".
- Set the "Notify me of a new Ubuntu version" dropdown menu to "For any new version" if you are using 15.10, set it to "long-term support versions" if you are using 14.04 LTS.
- Press Alt+F2 and type in "update-manager" (without the quotes) into the command box.
- Software Updater should open up and tell you: New distribution release '16.04 LTS' is available.
- Click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.
To upgrade on a server system:
- Install the update-manager-core package if it is not already installed.
- Make sure the /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades is set to normal if you are using 15.10, lts if you are using 14.04 LTS.
- Launch the upgrade tool with the command sudo do-release-upgrade.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Note that the server upgrade will use GNU screen and automatically re-attach in case of dropped connection problems.
There are no offline upgrade options for Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu Server. Please ensure you have network connectivity to one of the official mirrors or to a locally accessible mirror and follow the instructions above.
See also Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety Yak) on Johfrael MyWiki